America (LHA 6) Christening
America (LHA 6) christened on October 20, 2012
View Christening Photos
Ship Sponsor Mrs. Lynne Pace
America (LHA 6) is the first of a new generation of multi-purpose amphibious assault ships under construction at Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula. America is the first amphibious assault ship that has no well deck. Instead, she has increased hangar capacity and is designed to provide sea-based air support to marine landing forces. LHA 6 is the fourth U.S. Navy ship named America since 1776.
Facts about America
- America is 844 feet long and has a 106-foot beam.
- America has 965 miles of cable.
- America has two acres of flight deck
- America is nearly three football fields in length.
- America is 20 stories tall from the bottom of her keel to the top of her deckhouse.